20 Fabulous Indoor Snow Day Activities for the whole Family
Here on the East coast, we had a Noreaster. It brought rain all day and then snow all night. It is supposed to snow again this week. Being home during this storm made me think of different things we could do together.
It’s cold and snowy outside and you don’t know what to do. Maybe it’s not snowing by you, but it’s gross-out. So, here you are stuck in the house with your kids. Without using IPADs or Computers there are ways to keep the kids busy and everyone happy. These ideas are cheap, easy and you probably have everything at home already. That’s what makes these Snow Day Activities so terrific.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through this links I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please check my Disclosure Policy
I know right now your thinking about the things you have to do or what needs to be done, but try to enjoy the day. I see you looking at that load of laundry. It will still be there tomorrow. We should all look at a snow day through the eyes of our children, with excitement and joy. Being stuck at home is a great way to spend time together as a family. Also, check out 15 Terrific Ideas for Family Connect Nights.
Finally, here is a list of Indoor Snow Day Activities for the Whole Family.
1. Games- Board games, card games, dancing games anything you can think of. When playing games children learn to wait their turns, how to win and lose graciously and follow directions.
3. Build of Fort or a Tent- This is a weekly occurrence in my house.
5. Bring the snow inside-If you have young ones that might not be able to handle the cold bring the snow inside. Put snow in a bowl or bin, add some measuring cups and let them play.
My sons had a great time with this. As you know, bringing a little one out into the snow isn’t always easy or fun. It’s a lot of work to load the kids up with layers, boots and coats to only come in 10 minutes later. Bringing the snow inside worked great. They were playing, having fun and mostly not FREEZING.
6. Quiet time- It’s ok to not be doing something all the time. Sit and read together. Everyone can take turns reading to one another. For Helpful tips when reading to your children check out ABC’s of Reading to and with your Child.
Sign up here to get a checklist of how to find the right book for your child.
7. Crafts- Get messy and have fun. Here is a few Winter Crafts that you can try at home.
8. Color together- Coloring has been shown to reduce stress and relax people. Adults can use an Adult coloring book or just color in your child’s coloring book.
9. Watch a Movie- Old or new sit together with some popcorn and enjoy movie time together.
10. Play Simon says like an animal –
-Hop like a Bunny
-Gallop like a Horse
-Slither like a Snake
-Crawl like a bear
-Fly like a bird ….. Anything you can think of
11. Balloon Toss- If you have balloons laying around, blow them up and have fun! Kids love playing with balloons. My kids will play with the balloons for days.
This was my son’s first birthday. We filed his crib and the house with balloons. We continue to fill the house with balloons every birthday.
12. I Spy- This is a great game to help with paying attention and focusing.
13. 20 Questions
14. Take Pictures of each other
15. Do Wordsearch puzzles—you can make your own online with the words you choose
16. Make Dough or Play Dough- here’s a recipe for Gingerbread Play Dough It is easy to make and smells great.
19. Go through and find things to donate. –Let your kids go into their rooms and find things they haven’t played with in a while. Ask them what they are ok with giving away. By asking your children what they want to give away they have some control and then feel good about it instead of being upset that something is gone.
20. Sit and enjoy some Hot Chocolate together (make it better with marshmallows). Or maybe some coffee or tea for you.
Use these ideas to enjoy the time together inside. These Indoor Snow Day activities for the whole family will be a sure-fire hit.
Previous Post you will Enjoy
Also, check out 15 Terrific Ideas for Family Connect Nights
You will also like 20 Questions to get your Child talking about School
Please comment below and let me know some activities you do on a snowy day.
P.S. If this was helpful to you, you don’t want to miss out on other parenting resources. Get resources sent right to your email. Sign up here!